AFOC Chapter 16

Chapter 16
BPOV


During the trip, Julie is withdrawn, as if she doesn’t want to be here. I don’t want to pry by asking her what’s wrong, so I just help with packing the few things she picked out and get the rest ready to ship.

She doesn’t ask to see her grandparents or even any of her friends. I should worry why she doesn’t, but she’s in such a hurry to just go back home. She seems miserable during the time we spend in Florida, but I don’t want to make it worse by asking too many questions.

Now that we’re on the plane home, I figure it’s a good time to ask. I wrap my arm around her shoulders. “Are you okay, sweetie?”

She shrugs. “Are you and Edward officially my parents in the eyes of the law now?”

“Yes,” I answer slowly, confused about the direction the conversation is now taking.

“So, I can call you Mom, and Edward Dad?” Her voice trembles, showing her vulnerability.

Oh. I squeeze her close to me, kissing the top of her head. “You can call us whatever you feel like. It would be an honor for you to call me Mom if that’s what you decide.”

She snuggles closer. “I love you, Mom.”

I wipe off the tears trickling down from my eyes. “I love you too, sweetie.”

I can’t wait to get home to Edward; this will make his week. I close my eyes and know this is the win we need. We need to hear that we haven’t totally fucked everything up, that we’re going in the right direction with this recent decision.

Jared kissing me really woke me up to everything I was doing. I was trying to prove something; all this work at the center was me needing it to be perfect. To prove it was worth living there and not being with my kids. I was so used to having to do everything, I didn't know how to let go.

But I’m ready now. I’ve scoured resumes and asked current employees if they’re ready to take on more duties. I’m trying to wipe my plate clean so I can drop down to three days a week in the office, and the rest I can do from home if I really have to. I’m hoping I won’t.

“Julie, why didn't you ask to see anyone while we were down there? I’m sure they would have wanted to see you,” I said gently.

“My grandparents didn’t want to see me, and none of my friends answered my texts.” The hurt coming from her makes me squeeze her tight.

“Well, their loss is our gain. You know everyone is missing us back home. And when we get there, I’m thinking lots of junk food and a funny movie.”

She giggles. “That sounds awesome, Mom.”

Lucian was waiting for us at the airport, nibbling on his bottom lip and not making eye contact with me. My son was concerned about something. What could have happened while I was away? Edward said everything was fine. There are a few things we need to talk about when I get home, but he said not to stress about it.

“Hey, Mom.” Lucian wraps his arms around me for a quick hug.

“I thought your father was picking us up?” I ask as he takes the bags from us.

His body goes rigid. “He and Aunt Irina had to go to the police station.”

An icy dread creeps up my spine and drops into my stomach. “Why?”

He shakes his head as he tosses the bags in the trunk. “It’s all crap, Mom, so don’t believe a fucking thing.”

“Lucian, tell me what’s going on?”

His hands ball into fists. “His assistant is claiming sexual harassment and assault.”

My stomach bottoms out. “What?”

“Let’s just get home, and you and Dad can talk about it. But don’t worry, it’s not true, and Dad has the evidence to prove she’s just angry that he won’t give in to her advances.”

I nod, trying to digest every word as I climb into the passenger seat.

Julie is quiet, looking out the window with her headphones on. I pray she hasn’t been listening.

Edward isn’t home when we get there. I unpack and start dinner, needing to keep myself busy so I don’t overthink everything. And by everything, I mean whether my husband is guilty. I know I shouldn’t even entertain the idea, but I can’t help it.

Damn it. I need to think about something else.

I take a deep breath and let it out.

“Bella,” his velvet voice washes over me.

I turn to him; he has black circles under his eyes and a few days’ worth of stubble taking over his jaw. His lips are pulled down.

“Edward.” I rush him, throwing my arms around him. “How bad is it?”

He sighs. “She dropped everything once she saw that Damon recorded what happened Friday.”

I pull away. “What the hell happened Friday?”

He rubs his face. “Veronica showed up asking to come in. I thought something happened at the office, so I let her in. She told me she would help me release some stress and dropped the long coat she was wearing. She was naked.”

I shake my head, struggling to breathe. What the fuck. What the actual fuck is happening? Did we fuck up some kind of karmic balance?

“I didn’t look. I closed my eyes and turned away from her, telling her to leave. I told her we would discuss her career Monday. When she put up a fight, Damon told her to leave, and she did.” He runs his fingers through his hair, his eyes carefully taking me in.

“So she went to the police?” I ask, trying to hold in the rage I feel for this woman.

“Yep, and tried to say I told she had to come over and have sex with me if she wanted to keep her job. And when she got here to just talk to me, I forced myself on her, but before I could fuck her, my son interrupted. Fucking bitch.” His jaw tightens. “I swear on our kids, Bella, I did nothing of the sort. I wanted nothing to do with her. Damon recorded everything before he announced his presence.”

My body shakes as I walk to a chair and sit. “Okay.”

“Mom and Dad are keeping the twins and Wyatt, and Sarah is at a friend’s house. Lillian wanted to stay with Alice. Mike is at work, and Damon is with Trisha looking at cribs.” He takes a seat next to me, taking my hand into his. 

I nod my head, thankful someone is thinking straight. “What happened at the station?”

“She recanted once I produced the video. Then I requested a restraining order and Irina is now taking over any communications with her.”

“It’s over?” I ask, confused with all the emotions warring in my body.

“Yes. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about it on Friday, but I just wanted you to focus on your trip. I didn’t realize it was anything serious to concern you about.”

I grip his hand tight, needing more. I need more of his touch. “When did it become something to worry about?”

“This morning.”

“Nothing ever happened between you?”

“Never, Bella.” He tilts my chin up so I’m looking into his eyes. “I love you so fucking much. I love our family, and not for a fucking second would I jeopardize our family like that.”

I grip his hands tightly, holding back the tears. “We must have been so far up our own asses we didn’t see how far apart we’ve grown. So much so that other people thought we were available.”

He presses his lips to my forehead. “It’ll never happen again. I love you, and we will do better.”

This past summer, I felt that we were on top of the world. We took a month out of our lives for vacations and settling in Sarah, but yet here we are. I was kissed, and Edward was propositioned.

“Change can’t come quickly enough,” I murmur.

*AFOC*

After everything with Veronica, Edward put up cameras and let HR know about her. He’s giving her two weeks’ severance pay, and that’s it. Originally, he told her he would give her a recommendation, but for the obvious reasons, that isn’t happening anymore.

Angela is due back on November first, just a little over a week away. Edward is thinking about promoting her to COO. She did everything in the job description. Edward only ever signs the paperwork and attends a few meetings.

I have promoted Leah to Child Care Director. She’s in charge of anything related to the daycare and preschool. I set up department heads for each program that needed it. I hired two more accountants, one that did the payroll and the other was in charge of the budgeting.

My job was to just come in, make sure they were doing their jobs, and help put out any fires. I can do that three days a week from nine AM to one PM.

I’m starting my three days a week schedule on November first. I hope to give everyone time to adjust, including me, to this big change.

I wander out of my office and go over to the clinic just to see how it’s going. I see a familiar face walking out. “Trisha?”

Her face turns crimson. “Hi, Mrs. Cullen.”

“Everything okay?” I look around to see if my son is with her.

“I felt a few sharp pains. I thought I better get checked out, but I didn’t want to worry anyone.” She rubs her stomach, and I can’t help but smile.

“I remember when I was pregnant with Lucian, I was paranoid at every minor thing.” I smile at the memories. “Of course, I was fourteen when I was pregnant with him. I feared everything that was happening to my body.”

Her eyes widened. “Fourteen?”

I wave my hand. “Long story for another day.” Then I think about her being alone, and I wonder how often that happens. I know Damon said something before about her family disowning her.

“What are you doing this evening? You should come over for dinner. I’m sure Damon would love to have you join us.”

“If it’s not too much trouble. I know you guys have a lot going on.” Her gaze never leaves her hands, making patterns on her stomach.

I snort. “It’s not too much trouble at all. I’m ordering pizza.”

Trisha gives me a slight smile. “Your grandchild won’t allow me to pass up pizza. I’ll see you later, Mrs. Cullen.”

“It’s Bella, sweetie. We’re family now.”

“Okay.”

At home, all the kids are there, and I order enough food for our army. Edward and I stare at each other from the opposite sides of the table, and I know this is the changing point. We’ll be okay.

Sam is next to Lucian, Trisha is by Damon, and his hands are on her belly as he tells the baby all about pizza. I can’t contain the smile on my face. Yes, we will be okay.


 


Julie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OutTake Lucian Ira Cullen

Driving Forces

Eala Chapter 18