AFOC Chapter 10

Chapter 10 
Lucian POV

The beginning of school is two weeks away, but we’ve already started football practice three days a week with two of those days being double practices. I love football, but I miss being at the office with Uncle Jasper and Aunt Irina. They keep me distracted more than throwing a ball and running does.

A hard smack to my helmet brings me to the present. I look up to find Mike glaring at me. “Dude, I got a date tonight, and if you don’t get it together, the coach will make our practice longer. And I will let Katie kill you.”

I grin. “All right, all right, let’s get this over with.”

I keep my focus as much as I can during practice, and it seems to help everyone else stay focused. This allows us to get through two more plays and into our coach’s speech on our game against the juniors. The coach drones on, and I can feel someone staring at me.

I turn my head enough to see Sam waiting against the fence, watching me with a big smile and giving a small wave. Her hair looks like fire as the sun lights it up from behind her. She’s so beautiful.

A familiar hand smacks the back of my head. “Dude, coach is about to strangle you.”

I glance at the coach and the vein on his forehead is throbbing against his darkened skin. “Now that our captain is paying attention; be here on Friday at eleven. We play at four.”

We break out and Mike and I rush to change. We still need to pick Sarah up from practice, and Damon is riding with us, too. He practices on a different field in the same complex.

I find Sam leaning against my car wearing cut-off jeans and a crop top. “Hey, handsome.”

I pull her into a hug and kiss her cheek. “Hey, baby, I thought you were working late at the daycare?”

She shrugs. “They were overstaffed today, so Leah let me go.”

Her gaze bounces from my eyes to my mouth. “Screw it.” She grabs my face, pulling me down and smashing my lips against hers. I freeze for a second, then I grip her hips and my mouth falls into sync with hers. My blood is pumping loudly in my ears, and my heart is pounding against my chest as I pull her closer, needing more.

We’re both gasping for air as we pull away.

She laughs. “I couldn’t wait for you any longer.”

“Get it, red.” Damon cheers her on as he opens the passenger door behind us.

My cheeks flame as Sam laughs. “I wanted to do that and also ask if you want to go out later after you get your siblings home.”

I pull her to me, kissing her hard. “I would love that. I’ll text you when I’m ready.”

Sam nibbles on her numb as she walks backward away from me with a smirk full of promises. Shit. Quicker than normal, we pick Sarah up and make it home, much to Mike’s pleasure.

We walk in the house, and I notice Dad’s home early. He’s holding Lily on his hip and the phone against his ear. Wyatt repeatedly rams him in the ankles with his walker, laughing every time Dad jumps.

I quickly follow my brothers up to the third floor before Dad can see us and ask for help. Not that I don’t want to help, but with the addition of my sisters coming to live with us and Mom opening the clinic, it’s been nonstop babysitting. I really want to go out and forget that my little brother knocked someone up.

I collapse on my bed, my head swarming with everything I’m avoiding. My time has been so split between my siblings, football, the center, the firm, and what little time with Sam I can muster. Am I selfish for ditching my dad, knowing he needs some help? That could be a very important phone call.

I push off the bed to go help, but Damon stops me in the doorway. “What do you need?” I ask him, trying to hold in my annoyance.

“Sam and Julie are helping Dad, and Mike is all but out the door.” His gaze never meets mine as he shifts his weight from foot to foot.

I take a deep breath, willing for patience. “What do you need, Damon? You don’t darken my doorway for shits and giggles.”

He huffs. “I need a ride to the appointment.”

He need not elaborate further. I know exactly what he’s talking about. “Of course, you do.” I let my head fall back. “Let’s go. I don’t want to be late for my date tonight.”

I have no idea what I should say. Should I be the nice brother and be there for him as his life changes, or do I be the brother that tells Dad and let him take Damon to this appointment? What I wish I could do is stay out of it, but how do I do that when I’m stuck taking him to the damn appointments?

We make it to the door before Dad’s thunderous voice stops us.  “Where do you two think you’re going?”

I glance at my brother, who puffs up and stares down our father. “I have an appointment, and Lucian is giving me a ride.”

Dad shakes his head as Wyatt pulls at his tie. “No, reschedule it. I need one of you here with the kids. There’s an emergency at the office.”

Damon growls, looking at me like I can fix it. Jesus. “He really can’t, Dad.”

Dad narrows his eyes at me before turning back to Damon. “I thought you said the doctor cleared you.”

My brother groans, shoving his hands in his jeans. “He did. This is for something else.”

Dad steps closer to us, glaring hard. “What the hell is going on?”

My eyes meet Damon’s; neither of us has a good enough lie that would pass his inspection. Partial truth it is. “Dad, Damon has to go to this appointment. Sarah and Julie can watch the little ones until Grandma or Grandpa can get here. Later, we can sit down, and Damon will be happy to tell you what’s going on.” I feel his eyes boring into my skull as I put him in the hot seat.

Dad’s face pales slightly as his eyes bounce back and forth between us. “Fine, go. But you both will explain everything later.”

We don’t need to be told twice. We scramble out the door and into my car where Damon gives me directions.

*AFOC*

I text Sam, letting her know I’m with Damon at this appointment. I haven’t told her the predicament he finds himself in. I don’t even know if there is anything to tell. For all I know, she might not keep it, or she’ll put it up for adoption.

After an hour and a half, Damon and Trisha walk out toward my car. My window is down, so I can hear them.

“Do you want to come out with me and my brother? He’s meeting up with his girlfriend. We could get our own table and talk.” My usually smooth-talking brother is rambling.

I hide my growl as Trisha shifts her feet and answers yes. Damon turns to me. “Where are we going?”

I look past him and talk to Trisha, ignoring my brother. “You heard of a little diner a few blocks from here called Seth’s?”

She nods her head, looking between Damon and me.

“That’s where we’re going.”

Trisha gets into her car to meet us there. I quickly send a text to Sam, letting her know the change of plans and hope she doesn’t take too long to get there. It’s going to be awkward as hell.

Sam texts back with a one-word response, a telling response to her opinion on the change. I gotta make this up to her before school starts, hopefully.

Seth’s isn’t what it was six years ago. Seth bought it from Paul and made massive changes.

“I’m getting Sam and me a table. Let me know when you’re ready to leave.” I rub the back of my neck as I peer at all the open spots on a late Wednesday afternoon.

“I will, thanks.” Damon pats my back, walking away with Trisha.

I’m thankful for small favors; at least the entire diner will be between us.

Fifteen minutes later, Sam joins me in the outfit she had on earlier today. I have to adjust myself discreetly. She’s so gorgeous and perfect.

“Hey, Lucian.” She pecks my lips before sitting across from me.

I lick my lips, tasting the cherry lip balm from hers. “I’m sorry for the change in plans.”

She shrugs. “It’s cool, though it shocked me. I didn’t realize Damon had the capacity to take a woman on a date before getting them to bed.”

I snort into my menu. “Well, to be fair, it’s not that kind of date.”

I watch her look over at his table before training her questioning gaze on me. “Why else would Damon take a woman out?”

I shift in my seat, trying to focus on the menu in front of me to avoid answering her. I shouldn’t have said anything. It’s not my place to be talking about my brother getting someone pregnant, but she is my girlfriend and she’s part of the family. If I ask her to be discreet until Damon tells Mom and Dad, it should be okay.

“She’s pregnant, and it’s his.” Her eyes widen. “Don’t say anything to anyone, though. You and I are the only ones that know. I’m hoping after whatever happens during their talk here, Damon will tell our parents.”

She slowly nods as her gaze find its way back over to Damon and Trisha. Mine follows as a feminine voice yells out, “What!”

Damon tries to shush her as her face drains of color.

“Should we intervene?” Sams asks me as we both watch the train derail on the other side of the diner.

I open my mouth, but nothing comes out because I don't know that we should. I’m positive I know what happened and, honestly, I really don’t want to help my brother. He made his bed and now it’s time for him to lie in it. But, he’s my brother and I should always have his back. “If it gets worse, then we’ll step in.”

“Okay.”

It isn’t long before I see Trisha stand up and walk out with Damon hot on her heels. Without a second thought, I get up and Sam and I follow behind them.

In the parking lot, Damon is trying to reassure Trisha.

“You won’t go to jail, and my parents won’t take our child away from you. Please, just have dinner with us this weekend. You can bring your parents, and we can talk about all of your concerns. Please, Trisha, I want to be part of this.”

Her face is red and puffy as Sam and I step up next to them.

Sam smiles gently. “They’re nice people, and I can assure you they’ll have far more anger at Damon than they will you.”

Her words must sway Trisha because she agrees to dinner on Saturday with her parents and ours before leaving.

“I’m sorry for ruining date night, Sam,” the dick apologizes to my girl.

She hugs him tightly. “It’s okay. You can make it up to me later by switching days so Lucian and I can have a real night out.”

I roll my eyes as he laughs and gets in my car. I turn to her, kissing her hard. “I’ll call you later.”

Sam smiles. “You better.”

I wait until she pulls away before starting the car. “Are you ready for the firing squad?”

Damon falls back into his seat and his body deflates. “Not even close.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OutTake Lucian Ira Cullen

Eala Chapter 18

Driving Forces