A Family of Conviction Chapter 4

Chapter 4
BPOV



I sigh, looking at the mountain of paperwork and callback slips on my desk. I’m barely ever out of my office anymore to interact with the people we help because I’m non-stop working. I feel like I’m organizing it more than actually doing it. I lean back. I think I’m in over my head. Shit, I think Edward’s right. I need to hire some people to help. My brain is all over the place, thinking about the two weeks I’m off. Leah said she would fill in for me to make sure most of everything stays in order. But really, my mind is on my son and the deceit my darling husband tried to pull on me.



I close my eyes, rubbing my temples. Doing anything in the office right now is useless. I get up and start making my rounds of the facility. I check the daycare and preschool. My kids converge on me, wanting kisses and hugs. I hit up the WIC office and then over to the new space that’s currently being added. My newest idea for a clinic is in motion. I’m funding the construction; well, Edward is. I know we’re married, so it's our money, but I have a hard time seeing it like that because I don’t bring any money in. Any money I earn goes into the center. I smile, thinking about all the good this clinic is going to do on top of all the other programs. Everything I’ve accomplished is more than I ever dreamed of.



“Mom.”



I turn around, seeing my boys and my temporary girls walking up to me. I bend down, hugging Sarah and Julie. “You girls keep growing!”



Of the two girls, Sarah has the most characteristics of their biological father; chocolate hair and eyes, and uniquely tan skin. At just eleven, she’s tall and thin. She could easily pass for a model. Julie is nine, but she shows almost no relation to him with her dishwater blonde hair and bright blue eyes.



“Mama B, I missed you so much. I wish I could live with you all the time,” Julie tells me.



Sarah nods along with her, a serious look on her face.



I shake my head, chuckling. “Maybe one day when you’re older,” I say to appease them. I know it’ll never happen because their grandparents love them way too much to ever let them leave permanently.



“How was the drive?” I ask Lucian, who’s watching his phone like a hawk.



“It was good, no problems.”



Damon scoffs. “Traffic was shit. Lucian actually cursed twice!”



Lucian glowers at his younger brother, and I can’t help but laugh.



“Now that seems more believable.” I hug my oldest before hugging Mike and Damon. Damon tries to dodge it, but I get him in my arms anyway.



Ignoring the pang in my heart that Damon’s action caused, I say, “Thank you, boys. Please take the girls to the house. I’m almost done here and then I’ll meet you at home.”



Mike nods, taking Julie's hand while Lucian takes Sarah’s. Damon rolls his eyes as they walk away. I wonder sometimes if this attitude comes from Jake’s side. I just don’t understand it at all.



Heading back to my office, staring at everything I know I won’t get done, I finally give up and gather my things. I head home, ready to start my vacation now. I need time with my kids, and maybe this will help Damon with whatever he’s going through.



I see Edward’s car is already here. A sigh escapes between my lips as I think about my husband and the little stunt he pulled. I’ve forgiven him for the most part, but it still burns my ass that he thought he could keep something like that from me.



I head in the house, where all I can hear is kids laughing and running around like little heathens.



Edward holds Wyatt as he participates in our younger children’s antics. Even Damon is running around tagging Sarah before running past me, almost toppling me over.
“What in the world is going on in here?” I holler over all the giggling, which seems to increase with my question.



Edward looks at me with a smirk. “We’re on vacation, love.”



As simple as that. I smile, toss my things to the floor, and grab our youngest from him. “You took time off, too?”



He rubs his nose against mine. “Two weeks of nothing but us and our brood.”



My cheeks begin to hurt as my smile widens. “Really?”



He nods, kissing me gently before taking off after Masen.



We’re finally on vacation.



*AFOC*



Our first family trip is to Wild Waves Theme & Water Park. We have the rooms booked and the entire clan is coming. Jasper and Irina had the hardest time getting time off, but the kids used their priceless puppy eyes and here we are. I’m positive we’ve reserved the entire floor of the hotel. Tanya gives me the stink eye as Irina and Edward unload the vehicles.



“What?” I ask.



She narrows her eyes more. “You and your damn ideas. Do you know how much crap I had to pack for this damn two-day trip of yours?”



I laugh in her face. “Woman, I have nine kids, four of them under the age of five. Don’t you be complaining to me about packing.”



She snorts, shaking her head. “I’ll never win an argument with you.”



My head falls back as I laugh. “Nope. I’ll always win.”



Lucian and Mike give Edward a hand as we head into the hotel ready to take it over with all these kids bouncing off the walls. The poor receptionist looks at all of us with wide eyes, not that it stops her from checking out not only my husband, but my oldest boys as well. The girl turns red when Damon gives her a wink.



“We have a reservation for Cullen.”



Her head bobs as she types it into the computer. “Yes, the entire fourth floor is yours.”



Edward, Irina, and Tanya snort.



She gets to work making key cards for each room on the floor as the rest of the crew shows up. First, Jasper and Alice with their few bags, then Carlisle and Esme with one bag, and then Emmett and Rose with three.



I look at my husband who has a twinkle in his eye as we look at our seven bags of crap for all our kids. Together we snicker as we get a luggage cart and hand bags off to the kids as we make our way to our rooms on the fourth floor. Edward and I are sharing a room with the little ones while the boys, Julie, and Sarah are taking the connected room right next door.



“Alright, once we get settled, we can grab something to eat, then off to the park we go. What we don’t get to today, we can do tomorrow before we leave for home,” I holler over the chaos.



I think I hear agreement; at least I know my husband heard me as he changes Wyatt’s diaper. I supervise the bathroom rotation for Masen, Maddie, and Lily.



“Put your bathing suits on under your clothes just in case you decide to do the water rides,” I tell the older kids as I change Lily and make sure Maddie and Masen have their suits on.



Lucian nods but doesn’t look up from his phone as he waits his turn for the bathroom.



After about an hour and a half, all twenty-three of us decide to eat at a local diner before we hit the park. When we’re all together like this, it’s chaos. The kids all fight over sitting with Grandma and Grandpa, and the rest of us try to keep the little ones from disrupting other people. As we laugh and take pictures, I see Damon actually smile as he and Sarah take a selfie together. This is definitely what we needed.



Finally, at almost one, we enter the park. We decide to do our own thing and meet up in a few hours by the picnic area. I watch Julie take Damon’s hand, dragging him to the nearest water slide. Lucian puts his arm around his baby sister’s shoulders as they follow behind their siblings.



“Is it just me, or was Lucian warding little boys away from his sister?” Alice lays a towel down next to me as we let the little ones play in the kiddie water playground.



I snort. “It sure does look like that.”



“This was a great idea, Bella.” Rose sits down next to me as we watch our men hover around the little ones.



Tanya is in front of me holding Thomas, who is still very shy in public places. “I concur; occasionally, you have a few of those.” She grins, watching Irina type on her laptop.



“Irina, get off that damn thing and enjoy the day,” my mother-in-law scolds as she sets up a chair for herself.



Irina looks like she's about to argue, but glances at her wife and shuts the laptop. “Thomas, how about me and you tackle that ride right there.” She points to the tilt-a-whirl.



He gives her a smiling nod, so she takes his hand and they walk away.



My eyes are on my husband; he looks toward me, indicating with his head for me to join them. I smile, getting up and walking over to him. I take my little boy out of his arms, giving Wyatt a big kiss on his chubby cheeks.



This trip was a pretty good idea.




Damon


Julie


Lucian


Mike


Sarah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OutTake Lucian Ira Cullen

Eala Chapter 18

Driving Forces