A Family OF Conviction Ch 2

Chapter 2
Lucian POV
Lily hangs from my shoulders, Wyatt cuddled in my lap while the twins are hanging around my feet as I read them a story. Nothing is better than this; just hanging out with my family. It also helps that Sam is sitting just a few feet away watching with an unreadable expression. She’s smart and just gorgeous with red hair and a petite stature.
“The end,” I announce, closing the book with an audible snap.
Wyatt giggles and lunges for the book while the others groan.
Before I can say anything, the door opens and Dad walks in with my brother dragging along behind him. Dumbass. He doesn't say anything as he makes his way past us and up the stairs.
“Hey, kids!” Dad calls out with his arms open as the twins and Lily lunge for him. Wyatt starts clapping his hands, making gurgling sounds and pushing his body across the floor.
He hugs and kisses them, then picks Wyatt up from the floor and gives him the same treatment. “I should just stay home and play with you guys all day.”
I look over at Sam, who stares at my dad like he hung the moon. It's not the first time a girl has crushed on him.
I feel Dad’s hand on my shoulder. I look up at him to find that his eyes are sparkling. “Hey. Did you have a good day?”
I nod, smiling. “Aunt Irina has me researching some cases. It’s pretty awesome. She even said that I can sit with her on this one if I can keep up with her.”
Dad’s gaze lands on Sam. “Did my boy behave himself today?”
She giggles as her skin turns the color of her hair. “Yes, Mr. Cullen. You’ve raised a gentleman.”
He laughs. “At least one of them got my skills.”
The blush spreads to her neck and grows brighter. I roll my eyes at my father's antics.
“I’m ordering pizza. You’ll stay and eat with us, won't you?”
Sam looks at me. “Yeah, if that's okay.” 
I smile, happy that she’s staying for dinner.
Sam and I have been hanging out a few times a week for almost a month, now. We haven't broached the subject of whether we’re just friends or if there’s more between us. I want more.
My dad leaves with my siblings following as they all clamor for his attention. Sam and I are alone in the room.
I clear my throat. “I was wondering…” Before I can finish, Damon appears in the doorway with wet hair and no shirt. 
“Hey, Sam.” He smirks.
Unable to help myself, I watch as Sam's gaze flickers toward my brother. A faint blush rises in her cheeks once more.
“Have you heard of a shirt?” She rolls her eyes.
Damon rubs his hand down his chest. “What's the matter, Red? Does this make you uncomfortable?”
A groan erupts in my chest at my brother's blatant flirting.
Sam narrows her eyes at Damon. “Please, little man. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is how big your ego is.”
He clutches his heart. “You wound me, Red.”
I’m unable to handle their banter another second. “Don’t you have something you could be doing, like, I don't know, finding a way to make things up to Mom? Delinquent asshole.”
I shouldn't be short with him but, for some reason, I can’t get rid of my anger toward him as he flirts with Sam. I’m not as confident as my younger brother is. I don't have his gusto with women. Even being captain of the varsity basketball team, football team, and track doesn’t give me confidence. I wear contact lenses, but occasionally I wear my glasses when I have to. I’m a nerd with a 4.5 grade-point average. I have no clue how to talk normally to a girl.
Damon is smart and just as athletic, but he has the charisma that I lack. I want to be able to walk in a room and just talk to whoever I want and be okay with it.
Damon drops his arm and glares at me. “Screw you, Lucian, not everyone can be as perfect as you with your vow of chastity.”
Dad’s lean frame comes up behind him. “Maybe you should take a page out of your brother's book. Then you wouldn't be on thin ice,” he growls.
Damon’s shoulders fall as he slips his hands into his pockets. “I’ll be in my room.”
My heart pangs a little watching my little brother get compared to me. But at the same time, Dad is right. Damon needs to stop being disrespectful to our parents with his disappearing acts.
It isn't much longer before Mom breezes through the door. She’s better than Superwoman; I’ve always thought so, since the time I realized she gave up meals for us. I’m the luckiest kid to have Bella Cullen as my mother, and I make sure she knows it.
“How was everything today?” She sets her things down and takes a seat at the table where Dad places a plate of pizza in front of her.
I smile. “Uncle Jasper has me doing all the legwork for a case.”
My mom smiles in return. “That’s great. How about you, Sam? How was your day?”
Sam clears her throat and looks at me before answering. “It was a good day, Mrs. Cullen.”
“Sam, you’re basically a fixture around here. Please, call me Bella.”
Sam blushes, nodding her head.
Damon finally comes downstairs and grabs some pizza. He tries to disappear, but Mom doesn't let him.
“Damon, come sit with us. Tell me how your day was.”
My brother drags his feet back to the table and sits down. “It was like any other day.”
Dad sighs, leaning back in his chair.
Mom narrows her eyes. “Did you have fun last night?”
We all freeze. Dad made the decision that Mom didn't need to know about Damon’s whereabouts because she’s been under enough stress.
Damon stares at Mom with a blank face.
“I’ve been trying to respect your privacy. I’ve been really good about giving you space to work out whatever it is you have going on. But today I couldn't handle that my child never texted me back, so I went on the website and pinged your cell phone. I know you were at some sorority house and then you were at Dad’s office.” Her gaze lands on my guilty looking father.
Damon’s face reddens. “Seriously? Now you’re spying on me?”
She raises a brow. “No, I’m a concerned parent that had no clue where her son was.”
He shakes his head and leaves the table, stomping the whole way out of the room.
I watch my mom’s face sadden as he walks away. It crushes my heart to see it. Dad tries to speak, but Mom puts her hand up and shakes her head.
That’s the end of that conversation as Masen asks what we’re doing for vacation this year.
*AFOC*
Sam hangs out for an hour after dinner and I still can't get her alone long enough to ask her out. Lily and Maddie are all over her, wanting to play Barbies and hear stories. I can’t blame them since they’re the only girls in a household of boys, but I really want to talk to Sam alone. After everything with my ex, I didn't think I would make a connection with anyone, let alone someone who gets along with my family so well.
Sam smiles at Mom as she hugs her goodbye. Dad winks, making Sam blush for the umpteenth time tonight.
“I’ll walk you out, Sam.” I take her bag, not allowing her to reject my offer.
I hear Mom muffle a giggle behind me. Sam’s cheeks flush even more. “Okay,” she murmurs.
We walk side by side to the door which swings open to reveal Mike walking in with his work shirt flung over his shoulder. “Whoa. Hey, guys.”
I smirk at the hickey on his neck. “Mom’s going to make fun of you until that's gone.”
His covers it with his hand. “Shit.”
Sam giggles.
“I’m going to see her to her car.” I wrap my arm around her shoulders, praying that she doesn't shove me away.
He nods and lets us pass.
When we reach her car, she stops a little way in front of it and takes her bag from me. “Thanks, Lucian. You’re a really great guy.”
I tuck my hands in my pockets “So, um, Sam... I was wondering if maybe…” I drop my gaze to the driveway and shift my feet.
“Lucian, are you trying to ask me out?”
I look back at her beautiful green eyes. “Yes, I am.”
She smiles. “I would love to go out with you. Let's talk about it tomorrow.”
I start to step forward to open her car door, but she steps in front of me to block me. “Goodnight, Lucian,” she says forcibly, but she doesn't open the door. She stands there blocking my view, but I have a good few inches on her and I can see inside her car.
The back seat is covered in blankets and pillows. There are boxes in the passenger seat.
I frown. “Sam, are you living in your car?”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OutTake Lucian Ira Cullen

Eala Chapter 18

Driving Forces